Apple Inc said yesterday that it was investigating an incident in which a Chinese woman died from an electric shock when she answered her iPhone 5 while it was charging, Reuters reported.
China's Xinhua news agency reported that Ma Ailun, from China's western Xinjiang region, died on Thursday when she took a call on her smartphone. She was 23 years old. The news agency quoted police investigators as saying she was electrocuted by the handset, which was charging when Ma received the call.
"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family," Apple said. "We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."
Reuters reported that Apple did not respond to questions on whether the Xinjiang incident was an isolated occurrence.
A blog posting by Ma's sister, describing the circumstances of her death and warning iPhone 5 users to consider safety when using their handsets, was reported as going viral.