Fingerprint policy pushes Saudi's Mobily into Q4 loss

Cost of initiative to register fingerprints with phone numbers leads to $18.9m loss
Mobily, Mobily Q4, Mobily revenues, Q4 results, Revenues, Saudi Arabia telecoms

Share

Saudi Arabia's second largest telecommunications operator, Etihad Etisalat (Mobily), posted a fourth-quarter loss on Thursday because of the cost of implementing a government initiative to register fingerprints with phone numbers, as reported by Reuters.

Mobily, an affiliate of the United Arab Emirates' Etisalat , made a net loss of 70.7 million riyals ($18.9 million) in the three months ending on Dec. 31, 2016. This compares with a profit of 10.6 million riyals in the prior-year period, according to a bourse statement.

The result beat estimates; six analysts polled by Reuters had forecast Mobily would make an average quarterly net loss of 106 million riyals.

Mobily, which competes with Saudi Telecom and Zain Saudi, said the suspension of unregistered customer lines and resulting pressure on sales contributed to a 16.6 percent decline in revenue to 2.9 billion riyals.

Under Communications and Information Technology Commission rules announced last year, all SIM cards issued in Saudi Arabia must be linked to a fingerprint record held at the National Information Centre, part of the Ministry of Interior.

Unregistered lines started to be disconnected on July 20, competitor Saudi Telecom said previously. The initiative aims to stop people obtaining mobile phones by using fraudulent identification cards, according to local press reports.

Etisalat said in December that its management agreement with Mobily had expired and the companies were working on a new arrangement. Earlier this month, Mobily said it had appointed Ahmed Abdelsalam Abdelrahman to replace chief executive Ahmad Farroukh.

Editor's Choice

The robots are coming: Impact of AI on executive search
As the technology industry’s elite struggle to agree on the potential impact of AI and a raft of people queuing up to advise on the potential disruption it will cause, this article by John Curtis-Oliver, Partner at Boyden studies the potential impact on the executive hiring and the executive search industry.
Saudi Football changes pitch from MBC to STC
The news comes just a few days after the release of Saudi businessman Waleed al-Ibrahim, who has management control of MBC. Reuters reports senior Saudi officials saying that Ibrahim agreed to an “undisclosed settlement after admitting to unspecified violations”.
HetNets: paving the way for “ultraband” age
Over time, telecom operators will provide consumers with a “universal connectivity” service (to rule them all), incorporating Wi-Fi and mobile broadband as a single resource, in an “always best connected” mode, leading to an ultraband connectivity service.

Don't Miss a Story

You may also like

FTA Channel enters new phase in video delivery with SES and MX1
The non-linear distribution service provided through SES's wholly owned subsidiary, MX1, will be the first of its kind in Equatorial Guinea.
9500 RTA taxis in Dubai to get free WiFi by Ramadan 2018
Blackwire deployed KiFi for 7500 TransAD taxis in Abu Dhabi last year and is partnering with SAPO in Japan to help Tokyo become Olympic Games ready
Software AG gets a new CEO
Currently serving as GM global revenue of IBM Watson IoT at Munich, Sanjay Brahmawar has an international and multicultural background with experience in Germany, England, Holland, Belgium, Finland and India.
du launches new loyalty programme for select customers
du Concierge is a bespoke loyalty programme developed by du in partnership with Peacock Concierge for a selected number of clients