Vodafone set to sign MoU with Saudi Telecom over sale of Egypt sale

Vodafone Group holds a 55% stake in Vodafone Egypt, with the remaining 45% being held by Telecom Egypt
Vodafone Egypt, Vodafone Group, Saudi Telecom, GCC, North Africa, Telecoms
AFPGetty Images

Share

Vodafone Group is set to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Saudi Telecom over the possible acquisition of a stake in its Egyptian business, according to reports in the Media.

Reuters reported that Vodafone Group CEO, Nick Read, visited Egypt to conduct discussions earlier this week.

According to the latest figures, Vodafone Egypt added a total of 230,000 new subscribers to its books late last year, boosting its total number to 40.2 million. This rise was in stark contrast to the overall trend in the country, which saw mobile subscriptions decline by around 100,000. The introduction of new minimum fees by the National Telecoms Regulatory Authority of around $3.16 per mobile line are believed to have played a part in the decline.

Vodafone Group, which holds a 55 per cent share in Vodafone Egypt has over 170 million customers in Africa. Last week, the company’s regional CEO for Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific, Vivek Badrinath, told journalists that the Group had a “clear interest” in expanding its regional presence into neighbouring Ethiopia.  

“We feel we can bring a lot, the payment abilities of Safaricom, the very deep ability to roll out networks in Africa that Vodacom has built up over the years, and Vodafone’s technology and experience in running businesses in the telecoms sector,” he told journalists from The Africa Report.

REGISTER NOW | Webinar Event | Security you can bank on – Safeguarding the Middle East’s financial sector

Presented in partnership with security and network specialist Cybereason, the second in the three part webinar series will bring together a panel of experts to discuss how banks and financial institutions are evolving their service offering while simultaneously staying one step ahead of the cyber criminals who seek to bring their operations crashing to the ground.

Editor's Choice

Emerson expands analytics platform for industrial enterprise-level wireless infrastructure management
Plantweb Insight platform adds two new Pervasive Sensing applications that manage wireless networks more efficiently with a singular interface to the enterprise
Digitalisation seen as a competitive advantage by Middle East private businesses
Nearly 80 per cent of private business leaders acknowledge that digitalisation can impact business sustainability
Etisalat introduces Multi-Access Edge Computing architecture delivering best-in-class video streaming performance for 5G networks
MEC architecture achieves performance gains of as much as 90% in video streaming, validating how ultra-low-latency applications will be delivered over 4G and 5G networks

Most popular

Don't Miss a Story