Chinese officials may be willing to negotiate with US following Trump Huawei ban

Also comes amid increased tariffs.
Huawei, Trump, US, China, Tech, Trade

Share

A section of Huawei's stand at the Ai Everything event in Dubai in May 2019.

Chinese officials have indicated they may be willing to negotiate with the United States, following increased tariffs and a ban on Huawei kit imposed by US president Donald Trump.

Meanwhile, while a number of countries and companies have ceased working with Huawei recently, Malaysia is not one of them. The southeast Asian nation has continued to deepen its cooperation with the Chinese companies, media outlets report.

Elsewhere, Huawei is asking a court to declare US president Donald Trump's executive order banning Huawei unconstitutional. The Chinese company argues Trump's executive order violates the "Bill of Attainder, Due Process and Vesting" clauses of the US Constitution.

The news comes a day after conditions being imposed on Huawei are akin to those experienced by Germans living in Berlin during the days of the Berlin Wall, claimed Huawei's deputy chair.

In keynote remarks delivered on May 27 at the Potsdam Conference on National Cybersecurity in Berlin, Huawei deputy chair Ken Hu said restrictions placed on Huawei are "totally unjustified" and would "cause a great deal of harm to consumers and businesses in Europe" while setting a "dangerous precedent."

He added: "It goes against the values of the international business community, cuts off the global supply chain and disrupts fair competition in the market. This could happen to any other industry and company in the future if we don't jointly confront these issues."

He also said: "We don't want to see another wall, and we don't want to go through another painful experience.  Equally, we don't want to build a new wall in terms of trade, we don't want to build a new wall in terms of technology either. We need an integrated global ecosystem."

Previously, Huawei was banned from Android access, following US president Donald Trump's executive order banning the use of Huawei kit in the US.

Trump issued the executive order in May. Since the executive order, companies including Google, Intel, UK chipmaker ARM, Panasonic and Qualcomm have cut ties. Microsoft has removed Huawei laptop listings from the US version of its online store.

The move comes as US blacklisting of Huawei and rising global antipathy towards the Chinese company is causing people around the world to sell their phones, including in places such as Singapore.

It also comes after Vodafone and EE in the UK and Japan's NTT Docomo and KDDI and SoftBank Corp. have joined a growing list worldwide of mobile carriers cancelling or delaying orders for new Huawei phones.

Previously, Huawei was banned from Android access.

At the same time, Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei has reportedly told Chinese state media he expects his daughter, Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou, to face some jail time after she was arrested in Canada in December and charged with violating US trade sanctions.

Wanzhou is currently under house arrest in Canada as she awaits possible extradition to the US to face charges.

Editor's Choice

Dubai government workshop considers the utilisation of Artificial Intelligence in cooperation with Dubai Customs
Interactive workshop to introduce “methods to measure productivity” based on most recent technologies
Nokia secures 50th 5G deal with Spark New Zealand
Spark New Zealand selects Nokia radio access network technology for its roster of preferred suppliers for its 5G rollout
du to drive business continuity with launch of world-class M2M connectivity platform
The telco’s innovative platform will enable customers to manage their M2M SIMs from a central self-service, resilient portal

Most popular

Don't Miss a Story