Bharti Airtel increases its stake in Bangladesh’s Robi Axiata

Bharti Airtel has raised its share holding in Bangladesh’s second largest mobile network operator by 6.3%
Bharti Airtel, Robi Axiata, Axiata Group, Bangladesh, Telecoms


Bharti Airtel has increased its stake in Bangladeshi telco Robi Axiata, according to reports in the press.

Through its Singapore based subsidiary, Bharti International, Airtel already owned a 25 per cent stake in Robi Axiata and has now purchased an additional 6.3 per cent stake. The additional stake was previously held by Japan’s NTT Docomo. Airtel now holds a 31.3 per cent stake in Robi Axiata, with Axiata Group holding the remaining 68.7 per cent stake.

“Acquisition of the ordinary shares of Robi from DoCoMo has been done at mutually agreed valuation. The said valuation is non-material and is not disclosed herein due to reasons of confidentiality," Bharti Airtel said in a statement, originally quote by the India TV News site.

Bharti Airtel has not disclosed the amount it paid for the 6.3 per cent stake in Bangladesh’s second largest telco. Robi Axiata currently serves more than 40 million subscribers across Bangladesh.

Bharti Airtel remains India’s second largest telco with over 300 million subscribers in India and an additional 100 million through its African subsidiary Airtel Africa.

REGISTER NOW | Webinar Event | Security you can bank on – Safeguarding the Middle East’s financial sector

Presented in partnership with security and network specialist Cybereason, the second in the three part webinar series will bring together a panel of experts to discuss how banks and financial institutions are evolving their service offering while simultaneously staying one step ahead of the cyber criminals who seek to bring their operations crashing to the ground.

Editor's Choice

Emerson expands analytics platform for industrial enterprise-level wireless infrastructure management
Plantweb Insight platform adds two new Pervasive Sensing applications that manage wireless networks more efficiently with a singular interface to the enterprise
Digitalisation seen as a competitive advantage by Middle East private businesses
Nearly 80 per cent of private business leaders acknowledge that digitalisation can impact business sustainability
Etisalat introduces Multi-Access Edge Computing architecture delivering best-in-class video streaming performance for 5G networks
MEC architecture achieves performance gains of as much as 90% in video streaming, validating how ultra-low-latency applications will be delivered over 4G and 5G networks

Most popular

Don't Miss a Story