Nokia’s most senior representative in China has penned an open letter to the industry, reiterating his company’s commitment to the Chinese market, despite it failing to win any 5G contracts from China Mobile last week.
Nokia had worked extensively with the world’s biggest telco on its 4G network but failed to win any business for its 5G rollout, as China Mobile opted to go with network equipment supplied by Huawei, ZTE, Ericsson and a smaller, domestic supplier.
In his open letter to the industry, Ma Boze, chief executive officer of Shanghai Nokia Bell, said that the company “accepts and respects China Mobile’s position” but that it would “continue to serve China Mobile unswervingly.”
Boze also took the opportunity to discredit an unsigned memo to China Unicom that was leaked to the press last week.
“We hereby solemnly declare that the letter ‘Nokia Bell from Shanghai to China Unicom on March 31’ circulating online recently does not represent our position and attitude. We have already checked this incident,” he said.
Boze reiterated the critical importance of 5G to Nokia both in the Chinese market and across international markets.
“The pace of China's 5G construction is accelerating. Our strategy will fully cooperate with and support the 5G deployment of all operators, and at the same time jointly promote the digital application of the industry market to ensure the successful construction and development of China's 5G network. Whether it is Nokia or Nokia Bell, it has been a communications "veteran" who has served in the Chinese communications market for nearly 40 years. From 2G, 3G to 4G access, core networks, and transmission technologies, we have created brilliant together with Chinese operators. To spend time together, use global resources, and promote the standardisation, industrialisation, and globalisation of various communications technologies advocated by China,” he said.